29 May 2008

Attending the Bayreuth Festival 2008



My program in Bayreuth this summer will include Norwegian Stefan Herheim's new production of Parsifal, Katharina Wagner's production of Meistersinger and the Tankred Dorst Ring. Unfortunately no Tristan. It would have been great to hear Swedish Irene Theorin as Isolde...

Expectations are high for Herheim's Parsifal, of course, Herheim being the first Norwegian to direct in Bayreuth. I must confess, however, that I am more a Tristan, Ring and Meistersinger guy. I find it harder to relate to the story in Parsifal. Maybe Herheim will change this?

I am also really looking forward to Katharina Wagner's Meistersinger. Judging from reviews, I think this is a production that I will like. At last we get a Meistersinger that is playful and with a youthful expression in Bayreuth! I am also sure Klaus Florian Vogt's Walther will be a treat. The picture above is taken from this production (Act 3, scene 5).

Tankred Dorst's Ring makes me curious. Is it just beautiful and nothing more? Is it possible that he has no concept and that the stage instructions are dull and unimaginative? Anyhow, I am looking forward to hearing Christian Thielemann's interpretation. I am sure this will be a memorable week, as it was in 1990 and 1997.

Updated:
Stefan Herheim's Parsifal in Bayreuth
Interview with Penelope Turing, author of "New Bayreuth"
Interview with Iréne Theorin (in Norwegian, on Wagneropera.no)

No comments: