27 March 2009

Klaus Florian Vogt to replace Burkhard Fritz as Lohengrin



Klaus Florian Vogt will replace Burkhard Fritz as Lohengrin in Stefan Herheim's new production at Staatsoper Berlin.

This is the second major cast change for this production after René Pape was replaced by Kwanchul Youn.

Unfortunately I have never heard Fritz, so I do not know what is lost by his withdrawal. But I know what we get: a wonderful Lohengrin - with a soft, almost melancholic voice. It is a voice you just want to sink into and let yourself be drowned by, to use a metaphor appropriate for a Wagner lover. I was fortunate to hear Klaus Florian Vogt as Walther in Katharina Wagner's Meistersinger at Bayreuth last summer, and it was certainly one of the highlights of that summer. No need to say that the Bayreuth audience adored him. You will of course know Vogt from the DVD from Baden-Baden as Lohengrin in Nikolaus Lehnhoffs production. I don't mean any disrespect to Burkhard Fritz, but this change makes me very glad indeed.

5 comments:

inter mezzo said...

Per-Erik, you have made my day!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! This compensated for Pape's withdrawal just about. Nice one!

lilloboss said...

What terrifically good news after the Pape pullout! Splendid: can't wait.

Rossweisse said...

I'm also over the mood about Vogt (heard his Erik in Vienna and his Walther at Bayreuth). And while I'm a little sad about Pape, I also loved Kwangchul Youn's Gurnemanz in Bayreuth last year, so I'm confident he will be a more than acceptable substitute. I feel really lucky to have a ticket for this Lohengrin (gloat gloat)and I am rapidly becoming a big fan of Herheim. Should be one of the Wagner events of 2009!

javierqatar said...

Not quite a good change...

I heard Burkhard Fritz as Max in Der Freischütz, in the Staatsoper Berlin: he is a magnificent tenor. On the other hand, I've heard Vogt in Das Lied von der Erde and I was dissappointed: his voice is too thin, he lacks volume, depth, expression... I don't think he's a true wagnerian tenor, but many people like him...