How it works
- Anyone can enter. Contestants must have a Twitter account.
- The idea is to summarize the plot of an opera in 140 characters- the
Twitter maximum - or less.
- Each tweet must carry the #operaplot tag, so everyone can follow along.
- Contestants can enter up to 10 times.
- 5 winners will be chosen by Jonas. They will each get to choose a
prize out of the pool in a randomly selected order.
full rules and FAQ here
OPERAPLOT 2010 - The Lowdown
Dates: 9am EST Monday 26th April to midnight EST Friday 30th April.
Judge: Jonas Kaufmann
Headlining House: Opera Theatre Company based in Dublin is offering two tickets to their Marriage of Figaro production in May, 3 nights hotel stay and up to 1000€ towards flights.
Other participating houses
full details here
(updated as new houses join)
Atlanta Opera, De Nederlandse Opera, Edmonton Opera, English National Opera, Fort Worth Opera Festival, Kitchener Waterloo Symphony, Minnesota Opera, Opera Australia, Opera San Jose, Portland Opera, San Francisco Opera, Santa Fe Opera, Scottish Opera, Seattle Opera, Vancouver Opera,
Universal has put CD and DVD sets of Wagner, Haydn and Mozart into the pool. In addition to be fantastic in their own right, these prizes help solve the problem of opera houses not being especially portable....a bit of
a snag in a global competition. Tickets for the Vancouver aren't very useful to a winner living in Atlanta.
Top 5 from 2009
- @leboyfriend – There was a young lady called Fricka Who . . . who . . . *snore* 'Wake up -- it's over.' It's good, I just wish it were quicka. [The Ring]
- @wordsmusic – Here's my castle. Are you afraid? No, I'm going to open all those damn doors! Are you afraid? No, let me in! Who's that? Oh shit. [Bluebeard]
- @musicbizkid – Let me get this straight: unfathomable treasure if I betroth my loopy daughter to a ghost? Deal. She'll meet you by the fjord. [The Flying Dutchman]
- @DrGeoduck – Who wants to live forever? Me! No, wait, i changed my mind. *dies* [The Makropolus Case]
- @voxdixit – Monk: Repent, courtesan! (Meditation) Courtesan: Okay! Monk: Wait, there is no God after all! Courtesan: Too late, I'm dead! [Thais]