07 February 2011

Svalbard - the Blue Beauty

Spitsbergen, Svalbard

I hope you'll forgive me for posting this very off topic blog post. But I've just returned from Spitsbergen, Svalbard's largest island, working on web related matters for Spitsbergen Travel. Svalbard is the last stop before the North Pole. I wanted to share with you a couple of photos of this magnificent Arctic landscape. The dark season is about to end, and in some weeks they'll have the midnight sun (19 April to 22 August). Right now, when the first sign of light is coming, the landscape in Svalbard is bathed in the most beautiful blue colours you can imagine. It is really beyond beautiful and leaves me humble and awestruck. When I was snowmobiling though this landscape, the only music I felt could match this beauty was Parsifal...


Svalbard

When the sun reaches above the horizon, the mountains will be painted pink and purple before the midnight sun lights up everything.

polar bear warning sign

Not far away from this polar bear warning sign is the Svalbard Global Seed Vault (also called the Doomsday Seed Vault) is located near the largest settlement Longyearbyen (almost 2000 inhabitants).



The Svalbard Global Seed Vault, a seed bank storing seed deep, deep in the mountain.

All photos: Per-Erik Skramstad

2 comments:

Mark Berry said...

Truly awe-inspiring!

Anonymous said...

Talk about pristine !

"the only music I felt could match this beauty was Parsifal..."

Indeed.

... or Donner's "Heda! Heda! Hedo!"

:-)